My First Stripe...


At the end of class last week, our Professor called my name with a surprise:  I had earned my first stripe!

As a newbie to BJJ and a White Belt, this is very exciting for me! Maybe you're reading this and you're a seasoned Brown Belt, or battle-scarred Black Belt, but for someone like me who is new to the sport of Jiu Jitsu, this feels HUGE.

I feel humility and gratitude at the same time...

Humility -- because I know this is just a first step in a journey that hopefully will last well into my later years of life. 

And Gratitude -- because I'm thankful for this opportunity to be learning Jiu Jitsu, especially when there are so many others who would love to do this if they only had the opportunity.

This journey is lot like our faith in Christ. 

It's one step at a time, always learning, and always training. We are never "there" -- never a completed "Black Belt" in our faith. We are always growing, practicing, and trying to get better. Sometimes we get it right (and get the submission), and other times we are tired, let our guard get loose, and get in trouble fast. 

We may not always be winning, but we are ALWAYS LEARNING. We may not always win, but we can always learn.

Listen to these Bible verses about learning:

"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you." -Psalm 32:8

"Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me -- put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." -Philippians 4:9

And that's what it means to be a disciple -- someone who is always learning

Keep Rolling,

Brian


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Your Opponent Has an Extra Leg...

Principle #9: River (Flow with the Go!)

How Santa Claus Would Beat You in Jiu Jitsu... (Principle #10: Framing)